Prius Facelift and Prius c LaunchedPOSTED BY admin ON 20 February 2012
UMW Toyota, distributor of Toyota vehicles in Malaysia today launched the all new Prius c and an updated version of the third generation Prius. When UMW Toyota first announced arrival of the Prius c back in January, Toyota’s latest entry level hybrid was estimated to be priced at RM 103,990, but that has since been lowered to RM 97,000. The elder third generation Prius facelift is now offered in two variants – a luxury grade at RM 145,500 and a standard grade at RM 139,900. Luxury grade model comes with LED projector headlamps and perforated combination leather seats.
UMW Toyota targets to sell 2,500 units of the Prius c and 1,500 units of the Prius this year. We say that is a very modest figure, considering the Prius alone sold over 2,700 units last year while Honda shifted 4,566 units of the Insight last year, a figure that would’ve been higher if not for temporary supply disruption following the Great Tohoku earthquake in March.
Close to 200 orders for the Prius and 600 orders for the Prius c has since been collected since January.
In Japan, the Prius have been over-booked by 10 times, with the waiting period now stretching to 6 months. On the question of supply for Malaysia, UMW Toyota says there will be a waiting period of between two to three months for Malaysian customers.
Changes for the updated Prius include :
- Restyled front bumper – new intake grille design with improved engine cooling function and pedestrian impact protection.
- LED Daytime Running Lights
- LED projector headlamps (low beam, Luxury grade only) with headlamp washers
- Redesigned LED rear lights, with rapid flashing mode under emergency braking
- Folding side mirrors
- New wheel design – black alloy wheels with aerodynamic wheel cap (previously silver alloy with wheel cap)
- New interior colour – black (previously grey)
- New brighter looking texture for dashboard
- Perforated combination leather (Luxury grade only)
- Improved armrest design – cup holders can be used without having to slide the top section back
- Smart Start button now blue (previously grey)
- Improved night time illumination for switches
- Hazard light now marked with more distinctive orange
- Eco Drive monitor now displays fuel consumption records by month (previously was by trips)
- Improved layout for Touch Tracer button
- 6.1-inch touch screen display with reverse camera and audio system display
- Speaker is now an 8-speaker setup by JBL, with a separate 8-channel amplifier, uses JBL GreenEdge Technology.
- Antenna is now both pole and printed on the rear three-quarter window (previous is pole only)
There are no changes to the hybrid powertrain.
Considering the Prius c is an entirely new product and a new segment entry for Toyota, the product warrants a separate post. Do check back again later.